The Brickman's Blog

Welcome to my Blog! PLEASE feel free to leave comments, or just say "hello"! If you'd like to include your name/nickname in your comments, simply click on "other"...but if you prefer to remain anonymous, that's OK too! CULINARY CONSULTING CODE: 10-10-2000

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Grilled Flank Steak (in the rain)


Hello again everybody!
Sunday night's barbecue went quite well. I ended up (once again) having my grocery-purchasing decision made for me. The supermarket had marked-down a nice flank steak (just barely over one pound), because it had reached its "sell-by" date. Perfectly fine meat, wrapped and refrigerated.
I marinated the flank steak in Lawry's Garlic-Lime marinade (yes, it's store-bought. It's also very good!) for about 90 minutes. After it had been soaking for about an hour, I set up the grill and lit up the charcoal; it took an additional half-hour for the coals to get a good coating of ash, because exactly THREE SECONDS after I lit the fire, it began to rain. Hard.
I simply put the cover on the grill, and opened up the firebox door (then went inside the house!). It took a bit longer than usual for the grill to properly heat, but it did get there eventually. After a while, the rain subsided to a light sprinkle (and the coals were ready), so on went the food. Aside from the flank steak, I also grilled two ears of sweet corn. I'd allowed them to soak (still in the husk) in salted water, with a dash of smoke liquid added.
With the exception of the rain, everything went well. The corn was delicious, and the flank steak was awesome! (in case you're wondering: the flank steak was cooked over very hot coals, for about 6 minutes per side. Still rare on the inside. Oh, man!)
More later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home