The Brickman's Blog

Welcome to my Blog! PLEASE feel free to leave comments, or just say "hello"! If you'd like to include your name/nickname in your comments, simply click on "other"...but if you prefer to remain anonymous, that's OK too! CULINARY CONSULTING CODE: 10-10-2000

Saturday, July 02, 2005

My First Brisket!

Hello everyone!
Happy Fourth of July Weekend!
First, a word about yesterday's Cherry-Lime Chicken: it was delicious! In fact, tonight I'm making a salad with the leftovers (some torn-up chicken, iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots, roasted red pepper slices, manzanilla olives, and cheese).
This evening, on my way home from the restaurant, I stopped by the grocery store, looking for something interesting/unusual/cheap to grill or smoke for the 4th of July. I didn't have anything specific in mind, but my decision was made for me...I found some beef brisket (the "flat cut") that had been marked-down to $1.47 per pound! The "sell-by" date was July 3, so they either had to sell it quick, or throw it away. I should point out that the brisket was shrink-wrapped, and had been refrigerated all along, so it's perfectly fit to use.
I have the brisket marinating in a simple brine right now---about 2 quarts of water, about 2 cups of salt, some cider vinegar, and some herbs/spices. Nothing fancy. It'll stay in the brine (in the 'fridge) until some time tomorrow afternoon.

My Smoking Strategy: I'll get a 10-pound bag of charcoal, and dump about 7 or 8 pounds of it into the firebox. I've also been harvesting dried oak wood; I have many large oak trees on my property, and the wind has filled my back yard with ample smoking fodder! I've collected about 5 pounds of dried oak branches, and I've broken it up into pieces that are 3 to 6 inches in length. The diameter of the wood pieces varies from pencil-thin, to about 1-1/2 inches. I've also gone ahead & recycled an old plastic trash bin into a container (and soaking vessel) for the wood bits. Tomorrow morning, I'll throw the wood into the bin, add water to cover it, and leave it alone for six or seven hours.

The brisket is just about 3-1/4 pounds; I'm told that it takes about 1-1/2 to 2 hours per pound to properly smoke a brisket, so I'm looking at somewhere between four and six hours of smoking time.

I'll be back to let you know how things went!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home